Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 04-16-1999, 05:10 PM   #1
eutectic
Fanboy

Default Actors & Info_pathnodes - question for you elmagoo

I'm presently testing the info_pathnode entity and I'm using a Neutral_Technician_Freeport actor to test this. I named the actor charlie I placed him in southeast corner of a square room facing west (180). Then I placed 3 pathnodes along the south wall in straight line. The last node (t15) is in the southwest corner of the room. Between the first and second nodes (node1 and t14), I put a rotating door. Then I made myself a trigger_multiple in a convenient location and set the thread key to actor_test. Here's the thread code:

actor_test:
$charlie walkto $node1
waitfor $charlie
$charlie walkto $t14
waitfor $charlie
$charlie walkto $t15
waitfor $charlie
end

When I activate the trigger, Charlie walks up to the door, opens it, walks through and up to t14 (which I was careful to place far beyond the door). But when Charlie reaches t14, he goes zombie on me: he stops at t14, goes back to idle animation and doesn't proceed to t15.

I tried setting the DOOR spawnflag on the node before the door, the node after, both nodes and neither nodes. Same result in every case.

The only thing that works is if I remove the door from Charlie's path. So I suspect the door is what is putting him to sleep.

What's the solution to this problem? Am I using the wrong method to do this?

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site

[This message has been edited by eutectic (edited 04-16-99).]
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-1999, 07:46 PM   #2
elmagoo
Experienced

Default Re: Actors & Info_pathnodes - question for you elmagoo

OK, first off, the door, and ladder flags on an info_pathnode are not used at all (again, stuff that was needed in an earlier version, then code was re-written and so it wasn't needed anymore). As long as the door entity is an actualy type of door (IE, it's not a func_scriptobject), then the AI when it gets next to it will open it automatically. So, if you have single player levels with AI in them, all yer doors that you want the AI to go through have to be real doors like a func_door, func_rotatingdoor, or a func_scriptdoor. If you have a func_scriptobject as a door, then you'll have to jerry-rig some method for the AI to get through it. Also, on the SMBC map I gave ya, you'll notice that at practically every door, there's a pathnode on both sides of it. This just helps the AI to get through the door properly. I just noticed something, put a delay between triggerings on that trigger_multiple. Because for every tenth of a second you stand in that thing, it will re-launch the script. Usually what I do in a test room is make a little brush block, and make it a trigger_use that's set to visible. This way I have to walk up to it and actually 'use' the thing so I know that it's getting executed only once.

I dunno if this helps at all, but if the problem persists send me the test room and I'll look at it .

------------------
Latuh fuh U,
Benson
benson@2015.com
"Humor is the wine of funny, not the vinegar of dumb."
elmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-1999, 03:10 AM   #3
eutectic
Fanboy

Default Re: Actors & Info_pathnodes - question for you elmagoo

(sigh!) I already know that thing about the trigger_multiple. It's the wait key and I even know the default value by heart: 0.2

I can even tell you that if you try to set iit to 0, the entity source code has a provision to disregard that value and set it to 0.2 anyway.

I can even tell you that it's that value because it's a leftover from the Quake2 trigger_multiple of which's default was also 0.2

I can even tell you that the original Quake1 trigger_multiple wait key default was 2. I still remember that. And I remember being unhappy when I started testing the Quake2 entities (back in January 98) that the programmers had changed the default to 0.2 thus forcing the map designer to set the key to a "civilized" value like 2 just to avoid spurious triggering whereas before it wasn't necessary.

I've known that for a long time. I know what spurious triggering is. That's why I always set the wait key to 2 whenever I make a trigger_multiple for my test maps. It's the first thing I do... And later I also thought of changing the trigger to a trigger_use for convenience. I even set the VISIBLE flag so I could see it (makes it solid too BTW).

That's definitely NOT the kind of mistake I would make, trust me

Anyway...

Sorry about the door. I should have been more specific. The door was a plain jane func_rotatingdoor entity (no reason for me to make a time-consuming scriptobject + script thread kinda door when I have a 100 entities or so to test one by one, it's long enough as it is).

I did exactly what you said even before you suggested it. I placed 2 nodes: one before the door, one after. I tried placing the node after the door close to the door, far from the door, no difference. The techie goes zombie. If the node is close to the door, the techie gets pushed back by the door when it closes. That's why I tried to place it farther past the door but there's no difference.

The only thing that prevents him from going gaga and reverting to its idle animation is removing that door from his path so I know the problem has to be the door regardless of the DOOR spawnflag on the node. I tried all the combinations already: with without, only one, both, etc.

But as soon as I move the door away, he works fine. I didn't change anything in between. I'm very methodical when I test stuff, I only change one thing at a time and see what happens. That's also why it takes so long.

Anyway, I'll mail you the test map and script. Thanks.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote