Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 06-24-1999, 06:34 PM   #1
Bass2496
Fanatic

Default Scripters and Mappers

Check out the Sin Forum Topic i like ctf level that have height. Go to #sinediting on irc.3dnet.net for discussion about the different areas of the map. Us who are "less-enlightened" need to know what is and isn't posiible. We are going to need scripters and mappers to work on this. It will be a joint-effort.

------------------
that's bass as in the instrument, not the fish

Bass2496(BaS)
Email: bass2496@home.com
Bass2496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-1999, 06:41 PM   #2
Bass2496
Fanatic

Default Re: Scripters and Mappers

We'd really like to talk to Eutectic and BlindTypist about this map. If you guys could join it would be helpful.

------------------

Bass2496(BaS)
Old 06-24-1999, 11:10 PM   #3
eutectic
Fanboy

I'm sorry but I *really* don't have time to. I started updating the scripting docs 2 days ago and this is going to take a month of work, 3 weeks at the very least (if I put in 12 hours a day every day).

Hey! I'm even restraining myself from doing any kind of prefab or map attempts of my own in order to finish this. So I have even less time to work on somebody else's project.

Besides, how much scripting does a CTF or DM map need? ... Not a whole lot.

My goal and dream is that mappers start learning and writing scripts for themselves using the docs I wrote - not to write scripts for them. I wouldn't be doing anybody a favor even though that's what it might seem like at face value.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-1999, 11:20 PM   #4
Bass2496
Fanatic

It's cool, I was just hoping for advice on what's feasible or not, believe me, I've watched these forums for a very long time, I've read some of the scripting docs, I find it hard to believe that you've done all you've done in that short amount of time. BlindTypist expressed an interest in working on this project, and he learned from the best, so we should be fine. And, believe it or not, I know some scripting. This week maybe I'll dedicate a day to reading your scripting stuff.

------------------

Bass2496(BaS)
Old 06-25-1999, 09:55 AM   #5
eutectic
Fanboy

Thanks for the appreciation. Believe me, I can't wait to be finished with those docs to move along to something a bit more practical but the scripting docs in their present state are very incomplete and filled with errors.

I've been at it for a couple of days and when I re-read some of the stuff I wrote, some of it is so incredibly wrong it makes my hair raise. So I really have to do something about it especially when people rely on those docs.

And again, I'd love to join the chat but I know myself too well. If I start that, all my days are going to into it. It's imperative at this point that I make the most efficient use of my time.

You say I did a lot in a short amount of time... You're too kind. I think it's taking forever and it should have been done like 3 months ago (been working on the Node for almost 10 months now). The reason is that I basically re-did everything over 3 times. If I had had all the correct entity and scripting info from the start and didn't have to make all those tests, I could have done it in 3 months.

But I'm the kind of guy who finishes what he starts. When I don't, da bloody thing haunts me like a ghost. And also, there's a very big chance that a lot of those commands will be the same in FAKK2's scripting language so it might be useful for that too.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-1999, 12:45 AM   #6
iceheart
Addict

I read both these threads, and i would like to work at this level.

------------------
Silence is strong! Sound is weak!

Iceheart, SiN merc

iceheart.cjb.net
iceheart780@mail.bip.net
ICQ# 11476390

iceheart is offline   Reply With Quote