Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 09-02-1999, 08:11 PM   #1
claudec
Fanatic

Default Getting close to the one year mark. Shouldnt we archive/backup this forum?

I notice that the dropdown list for these forums goes back one year. I dont know if that means posts scroll off the forum after a year or if the posts will still be available via the search feature. In either case I think it would be a good idea for us to start thinking about backing this forum up and maybe even starting somekind of searchable archive. First the search feature here is somewhat broken. Anyone ever notice if you search the Sin forum you get a bunch of listings with no links? What if that happend to the editing forum? Also anything could happen at Ritual. What if this site goes down and restoring these forums is low priority? I assume the node would have a reasonably high priority and that eutectic as well as several others have it saved.

So what does everyone think about this?
Do we need to try and get a backup of this forum?
If so how?
claudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-1999, 07:01 PM   #2
sock
Veteran

Default Re: Getting close to the one year mark. Shouldnt we archive/backup this forum?

Too right this forum should be archived. I am often searching it for information and if some of it got lost, it would be a really great shame. What to do about it ? well that really depends on Ritualistic ... Personally I would like to see the information catalogued and indexed properly but hey who has the time to do that ? It would take forever.

But you can count on my signature for the "Archive the editing forum petition" ...

[This message has been edited by sock (edited 09-03-99).]
sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-1999, 05:26 PM   #3
claudec
Fanatic

Default Re: Getting close to the one year mark. Shouldnt we archive/backup this forum?

Yes we definatly need to at least save back up of it. As for an actual searchable indexed archive, we can work on that once we have some kind of back up. It would have to be done with some kind of software noway I or anyone else has time to do it by hand (though I am thinking of making some links from my web page to some of the more important and informative threads in this forum but that wont cover it all by a long shot). I dont know how this BBS software stores these forum posts. If its in text files then they could just compress them and make them available if its in somekind of DB format then there would have to be support for exporting the posts to text files or we need a programmer to write some code, and we will need info on the file structure of the data.

Also does anyone know if the post scroll off this forum ever?

[This message has been edited by claudec (edited 09-04-99).]
Old 09-07-1999, 09:18 PM   #4
claudec
Fanatic

Sorry to see that only myself and one other person care about the data contained in this forum.

Its really really sad.

Maybe someone will care when FAKK2 comes out and everyone realizes that a lot of stuff here applies (especialy the Sinscript stuff as Sinscript has been ported relatively unchanged -according to Zor - to FAKK2)
But by then it could be to late.
Old 09-07-1999, 09:42 PM   #5
Dysheekie
Regular

Sorry not to reply sooner. I do agree with you guys that the info should be saved somewhere. but i don't know how it has to be done or who has to do it. i'll just say that i learned everything i know about sin editing from this forum and it would be a shame if others couldn't use it in the future.
Dysheekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 01:22 PM   #6
eutectic
Fanboy

Sorry about not replying sooner either and I do care about the forum being backed up but like Dysheekie said: how?...

And I do agree that there are discussions, answers, tips and tricks that can't be found even at The Node which would definitely be a shame to lose.

But like Ranger mentionned, assuming that one would know how, can you imagine the sheer scope of the task?...

I was sort of hoping that HEX would jump in and add his comment s to this thread because he's the CGI and HTML expert which would know how and have access to the required stuuf to back up the messages in this forum.

Expecting the visitors and users of the forum to be able to do anything about it is a bit utopic IMO. That's why I never replied but now I see that I must add my 2 cents here.

Besides, for all I know, maybe the people at Telefragged (Ritualistic's host) already make regular backup tapes of their server's content and maybe the forum is already backed up.

Instead of expecting us to do something about it, why don't you write HEX and ask HIM to give you the full story.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 04:34 PM   #7
Wicket
Addict

I care as well, and I sent Hex the URL of this thread when it had 0 replies. He said he didn't think there was a way to back it up, but he'd try to look for a way...
Wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 05:36 PM   #8
claudec
Fanatic

I too wqas hoping Hex would jump in. Thanks wicket for emailing him. I realize that unless there is somekind of feature to the forum software for exporting messages or the format in the messages are stored has to facilitate this i.e. if threads were stored as text files Hex could just zip the entire directory branch and post it for us to dl. Unfortunatly its doubtfull the forum proggies stroed the data like that for tech reasons. Its probably in somekind of DB format in which case we would need either an export feature or it might be possible to still zip whole thing up its just you couldnt access it unless you installed forum software (then you get into version issues the shareware vs the paid for version of the software (Ultimate Bulleten Board).

I wanted to open this discussion so we could hash these things out.

If worse comes to worse then maybe a few of us could at least try to save the more important threads. Hopefuly many of us already have (I know I have a bunch I saved localy just to make it easy to get to when off line dont you hate it when you sit down to do some work and need to look something up and the node or your ISP or whatever is down and you can't get to the node. God I hate it when that happens )

Also I am still wondering about the scroll issue. Doea anyone know if this forum ever scolls old threads off the forum?
Old 09-08-1999, 07:50 PM   #9
eutectic
Fanboy

Well I can't do much about the forum but when it comes to not being able to check some info at The Node, there's always the downloadable scripting and entity docs zip archive.

It's a good way to check on the syntax of a command or whether or not an entity supports this or that key without having to connect to the net. And it's much faster too.

I use them often myself. Even tho I wrote the docs, there's no way I can remember every little detail about all the entities and commands. And there's nothing more tedious than having to start a dial-up just to look up on a small detail.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-1999, 11:36 PM   #10
claudec
Fanatic

Yeah I went one step further. I printed the docs out. Hole punched them and put them in binders. I used dividers to sepreate and label each section and made an index to it all out of the page that lists all the command families and the commands in each.
I find this the best way for me as I can open the book on my desk or in my lap and its easier to reference than something on my screen as it doesn't compeate with sined for screen real estate
Old 09-09-1999, 12:41 AM   #11
Ranger BaS
Fanboy

It is a sound idea but generally a lot more can be gained from discussion of a topic and as most of us have been here from the start, we know a thing or two.
Backing up a forum is a mammoth task and somewhat pointless as over time, ppl have gone from here and started their own tutorials which either are hosted by themselves or posted @ the node. Don't get me wrong, there are things in here which are not covered anywhere but I still think it's InSaNE to want to take on this kind of job
Ranger BaS is offline   Reply With Quote