Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > SiN, SiN Steam & Wages of Sin

Old 09-09-1999, 03:13 AM   #1
**DONOTDELETE**

Default Lighting question

Hi,

I'm working on a map with a lot a large open areas. To light them up I'm creating loads of lights and spreading them around. Is there any way to set a general lighting level of a room/area without having to create loads of lights.

Thanks
**DONOTDELETE** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-1999, 01:01 PM   #2
eutectic
Fanboy

Default Re: Lighting question

There used to be a way in Quake2 with a certain key for the worldspawn entity which I can't remember the name but I'm afraid this isn't possible in Sin maps.

If anybody knows better, feel free to rectify me BTW

In any case, be warned that large open areas with lots of architectural detail is bad news for poly count and thus framerate. Not to mention that QRAD'ing the map will take much longer.

------------------
The Node
www.ritualistic.com/node

The official Sin entities and scripting reference site
eutectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-1999, 01:50 PM   #3
claudec
Fanatic

You can use surface lighting on the brush face your using for the sky. If its an opena area then it probably has one or a few brushes for the ceiling just light up the surfaces of those brushes. Using brush surfaces makes much better lights anyway IMHO. In fact I can't think of a level where I have even used light entities other than some testing and fooling around I did when I first started.

Also for testing you can always just run qbsp by itself or qbsp and vis omitting qrad. It will save a bit of time and the level will appear as fullbright. Though you do want to put real lighting in for your final map if you release it to the public as fullbright maps
are soooo newbie

Also thought i heard something once about a console command (~game console) that would make the level fullbright, not sure if its true though. Maybe a video setting of some kind?
claudec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-1999, 02:46 PM   #4
sock
Veteran

The console command for removing light maps is R_FULLBRIGHT 0/1. Very handy for testing maps with dark corners. If you are going to use surface light for sky make sure you match the brightness to the relevant sky texture. Daytime value 200 Night time value 50 (Rough guideline)

[This message has been edited by sock (edited 09-10-99).]
sock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-1999, 03:27 PM   #5
claudec
Fanatic

Actually you have to set radiosity according to darkness of color used ( yes can use colors other than the defaults that appear for each texture and it works quite well if you do it right) and amount of surface area being lit. so using 200 for day and 50 for night might work in one situation but not another. Also if you use a lightstyle entity to control the lighting it will have a very dramitic effect and will require you to adjust your radiosity and possibly add or remove other lighting as well, but that gets into another topic altogether.
Old 09-10-1999, 05:35 AM   #6
sock
Veteran

If I had known I would get such a put down on offering advise/guidelines I would have not bothered ... actually ...
Old 09-10-1999, 07:35 AM   #7
Bass2496
Fanatic

I don't think that it was meant as a put down, but since you put in parentheses "Rough Guideline," claudec could've made the post just adding on to what you were saying
e.g.
"Sometimes it looks good to set radiosity..."
"You can get a cool effect if you..."
"Bass is stupid because..."
(Don't use that last one.)

------------------
that's bass as in the instrument, not the fish

Bass2496(BaS)
Email: bass2496@home.com
Bass2496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-1999, 08:33 AM   #8
Dysheekie
Regular

sock, do you ever notice that when you wash a bunch of you, one always comes up missing?
Dysheekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-1999, 10:11 AM   #9
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tips
**DONOTDELETE** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-1999, 10:38 AM   #10
sock
Veteran

Dysheekie - when you wash a bunch of you, one always comes up missing? ... umm ... what do you mean ?
Old 09-10-1999, 11:35 AM   #11
Dysheekie
Regular

Sorry dumb joke, you know how when you wash your socks, and then you pair them up after, one is always missing so you have an odd number of socks...anyway my bad.
Dysheekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-1999, 12:06 AM   #12
sock
Veteran

Dysheekie - Its been a while since anyone as cracked a joke about my nickname ... your the first on this forum ... don't worry its cool, it made me laugh ...
Old 09-12-1999, 04:06 PM   #13
claudec
Fanatic

Sock it wasnt meant as a put down.
Sometimes I dont have time to put in a lot of extra verbage to make it all nice so I just post the facts. Like now my boss could walk in any minute so I cant say much.

I guess I just cant communicate well I keep getting misunderstood.