Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Heavy Metal FAKK2

Old 08-30-2000, 01:03 PM   #1
stevedroid
Regular

Default Why Heavy Metal at all?

Seems to me like the game has absolutely no connection to the Heavy Metal universe. There's no nudity, no explicit swearing, no ultra violence (sure there's blood, but not guys being impaled with instestines spilling out).

To tell you the truth, I don't care the game is still good which brings up my point: why have the liscence at all.

If Ritual had gone and made up it's own heroine and own story they could probably make a really cool game. As it stands the story is really, really bad. The fact that they had to revive a dead character because they couldn't make thier own villian just shows how weak the game's plot is. I'm guessing it was so weak because they were restricted by the lisense and could only do certain things.

Seems like Ritual wasted money on a license they didn't take advantage of when they could have made up thier own character and story and have a franchise that rivals Ms. Croft's empire. Plus, if they succeeded (which they probably would judgng from how good FAKK 2 is in terms of gameplay) then they could keep the money for themselves and wouldn't have to pay royalties to whoever owns the Heavy Metal franchise.

Maybe they thought they couldn't sell a game without a fancy shmancy movie license.
stevedroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 01:56 PM   #2
Bass2496
Fanatic

Default Re: Why Heavy Metal at all?

I'm not that familiar with Heavy Metal at all, but I just think that it is weird that a universe is defined by things such as nudity, drugs, and violence. There is VERY much nudity, a whole lot of drugs, and tons of violence on earth, but I wouldn't say it defines the planet. If someone made a video game that takes place on earth, would they include those things? Possibly. But is it necessary?
Again, I know nothing about Heavy Metal, so I don't know if it actually does define it, it just seems odd to me.
Bass2496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 03:26 PM   #3
FalseGod
Addict

Bass2496: Pick up a copy of HM magizine, it is way over the top, and very not for Wal-Mart, it sux that Ritual had to go this route, but that's life.

------------------
FalseGod! King Of The Whorey Nietherworld!
FalseGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2000, 03:29 PM   #4
babab00ey
Rookie

Dude, drop it. Its a dead subject. I'm very familiar with the Heavy Metal world. I grew up with it. I watched the first movie when it was first released. I read the mags growing up. I saw the second movie a few weeks ago on the Action channel. This game is very close to the 2nd movie. Did they tone it down? Yep, but I think it still catches the essence of the second movie. Julie is not the only character in the game from the movie.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stevedroid:

In fact the game really doesn't have anything in common with the movie or Heavy Metal universe except for the main charater.

I guess Ritual decided they couldn't sell a game without a fancy liscense.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The game has her sister from the movie, the guy she married is from the movie and the Boss you fight at the end is from the movie(Tyler).
The stuff you talk about isn't that important to the Heavy Metal theme in my eyes, Heavy Metal mag has always been about the art work, and Heavy Metal Music. Does it include Sex,Drugs,and Guts? You bet. Is it in every thing in the mag? No.
At this point I rather be discussing your stupid topic on the battle tatics of Pretzels and Chips. Move on... you'll get over it.

[This message has been edited by babab00ey (edited August 30, 2000).]
babab00ey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2000, 09:38 AM   #5
Foo
Fanatic

Heavy Metal mag, in essence, is stories by diff artists with diff styles...

Ritual made another HM story, in their own style. They're not really to blame for you having those kind of expectations for the game.

And, well... the Walmart shoppers who don't know about Heavy Metal... are a lot more important (to Ritual) than the Heavy Metal fans such as yourself.

if you read any previews/reviews for FAKK2, you'll notice their attention is directed towards the engine and game itself, as it should be. They're not touching on it's relation to Heavy Metal.

------------------
urbanwarfare.com
Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2000, 09:12 PM   #6
stevedroid
Regular

I don't care if FAKK2 does or does not relate to the HM universe.

The main point of my argument was that it's obvious that Ritual can create a good game without relying on someone else's source material. Yes, there were other characters from the movie in the game; but were they integral to the plot-NO! In fact, I felt the plot was quite bad because it was restricted by the constraints of the HM universe storyline.

I saying that if Ritual had gone and created thier own story line and universe they could have made a better game and not waste money on an expensive movie/comic license.

Most movie based video games ride directly on the plot of the movie. This way the dev team can avoid working out a plot and concentrate on gameplay. However, with FAKK2 they came up with an original plot anyway and a weak one at that because they had to stay in order with the movie and yet not do anything to extreme in case there is ever a sequal to the movie.

So why waste money on a license when you're going to have to do everything original anyway. The only reason I can think of is so they can ride the popularity of the movie (which really isn't that big because it's a niche movie). In reality, had Ritual taken the time to flech out their own character and their own story they could have created a much better game.
Old 09-03-2000, 09:39 PM   #7
TeroPrack

Wow man, that was so profound! I just had a GREAT Idea Steve! Why don't you get a job with them so you can steer them in the right direction with your unmatched genius?

Obviously their tactics are inferior to your own. It almost makes you wonder how those mindless baboons made it this far with their company!

I think you missed your calling Steve!

[This message has been edited by TeroPrack (edited September 03, 2000).]
TeroPrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2000, 10:01 PM   #8
**DONOTDELETE**

of course ritual can make good games by themselves....SIN for example. Whats wrong with Heavy Metal?? Maybe your just pissed cause it had no nudity... and the storyline didn't suck that much..but then I quess you think half life had a better storyline right!!??
**DONOTDELETE** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 08:12 PM   #9
stevedroid
Regular

Wow TeroPrack, I wish I could could just use childish sarcasm rather than present an intelligent counter-point to the argument.

Wait..I guess I can!