Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Ritual Entertainment Games > Heavy Metal FAKK2

Old 09-03-2000, 08:32 PM   #1
Abraham

Default slow framerate

I have a PIII550mhz 120mb ram,geforce sdr and I had to delimit the framerate at 28fps because the game runs very chopy, I have the new detonators,and the game new patch, whats wrong? queke3 runs at 83fps, thanks..
Abraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 02:55 AM   #2
betterdan

Default Re: slow framerate

Do you by chance have eax enabled? If you do uncheck it. If it isn't checked I have no idea. Quake3 runs good on my computer but Fakk2 runs even better for some reason. My system has a little more ram (160) but only a celeron o/c to 450 and i play at 1024x768 with no slowdowns and all options. One thing u may want to check is if your hard drive is making noises during the slowdown then u need a faster hard drive if not it's probably your video card causing the slowdown. I had the same problem with kingpin, choppy play but every other game i had ran smooth. Someone told me it was probably my hard drive but I thought they were full of crap because my computer played all the other games fine. I by chance got a 3rd hard drive that i needed and it was faster than the other 2. I installed kingpin on the new drive and away went the choppiness. I bet this is your prob.
betterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 03:18 AM   #3
montana

You would think that if your gforce card does a great job on q3 it would do just fine but it sure ain't the case. I cranked up all the bells & whistles before I started playing the game and...,

My fps was so sloooow didn't know exactly why but I fixed it by setting all the video and audio to default. Then went in and twikee the game one item at a time. When I finally got the the audio settings and used A3D my fps crapped out - reset to software and all is well. So, by process of elimination I guess its an audio prob - should be a patch fix soon I bet.
montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 06:55 AM   #4
betterdan

By checking all the audio settings (I have a mx300 a3d card and could enable all settings but eax 2), I have found that the setting of software sound and reverb enabled gives a 10 - 13 fps drop in performance. with reverb enabled or disabled in a3d and eax there is no drop. I have found on my system that eax, a3d (again with or with out reverb) and software all run the same. Software sound seems to be the best because in a3d or eax most of the time you are missing sounds like footsteps, sword swinging etc. I reccomend using software for the sound. Do not I repeat DO NOT enable reverb with software sound. You can check this out by going to a place that's choppy for you and enable software and reverb. type fps 1 in the console and look at the reading. Now disable reverb and look again. See? Also a funny easter egg is when you type fps 1 in the console or maybe even not typing it when frames go below 22 she starts coughing and the fps meter turns yellow then when red she really starts coughing. I guess it's kinda like she is sick or sumpin.
Later...
betterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 11:55 AM   #5
Apocalypse
Fanboy

A3D will always slow your FPS, especially on lower CPU machines.

Also, I have problems with FPS and the FAKK1.02 patch; I reinstalled the game and was fine.
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2000, 12:12 PM   #6
tnt3-supreme

I have a good system (by my standards anyway)and I have to say that Fakk2 seems really chunky. What I mean mostly is the early eden levels. They seem to be the slowest in the game, and without reason too. Every other level runs smooth on my system (p3 567) except the town levels. I don't get it. Even with texture compression on, I get extreme skipping on the eden levels. I know I only have 96 mb of ram, so that might be the cause, but only on one scene? No other levels skip at all, even when there are twenty monters bashing my tail in. But on the eden levels, there might be three town people on the screen, and the choppiness starts. Are those the most sophisticated of the levels? The WE levels look far better and they are smooth....

Anyway, I get terrible fps with the 6.18 drivers and a geforce. Thankfully, I found Mr. F's modified drivers, and Fakk is killing now (except the eden levels). Thank god it's only one scenerio and not all of them.

smile
tnt3-supreme is offline   Reply With Quote