Ritualistic Forums

Go Back   Ritualistic Forums > Other Stuff > Miscellaneous

Old 05-18-2002, 11:51 PM   #1
warrior
Fanboy

Default Re: better video card

Well the good and bad.

You can upgrade to a TNT 2 Ultra 32 Meg for almost nothing and probably keep the same power supply.

The bad. Your not really up grading all that much.

For 65 bucks you can get a 350 or 400 Watt power supply, and for 90 bucks get a Geforce 3.

I would go the second route.

Hope this helped.

BTW, make sure the power supply you buy will fit in the Compaq. I upgraded a Gateway power supply and it would fit without cutting the case. Which started me buying an all new system...but that's another story.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 01:53 AM   #2
elwoodthemad
Experienced

Default better video card

I have a Compaq Presario 5005R, upgraded memory to 256MB Mushkin SDRAM (pulled out Hyundai memory 128MB stick) Windows ME. I have a 16MB Nvidia TNT2 M64 Pro agp card but many of the new games require 32MB on card memory. I know that Compaq cases are small and I think the power supply is only 250 watts. Is there a card I can upgrade to without having to upgrade the power supply? I really don't know much about pcs but was able to upgrade memory without any problem, is it much harder to do the video card? Thanks for any help. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
elwoodthemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 01:42 AM   #3
elwoodthemad
Experienced

Yeah, that does help. I was thinking that I couldn't upgrade much with the power supply I have. I have been thinking about getting a computer built or something, too. The thing about just upgrading the power supply and video card might just create a bottle neck at memory level? This machine has 100mhz bus speed, even though I put pc133 memory in it. Thanks, again! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
[LS]Leodavinci
Fanboy

hmmm if you run a ŽolderŽ system... buying a GeIII will not improve your fps much more then getting a Geforce II..

in most tests on highend systems it made a big difference, but on the less good systems its better to get a less expensive card.. your system cant get the full 100 % out off an Geforce II.
I suggest you get a Geforce II Ti 64 DDR... just an idea [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] good luck with it
[LS]Leodavinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 12:34 AM   #5
elwoodthemad
Experienced

Hi,
Thanks, Leodavinci, do you think that my 250 watt power supply can hold up to the card you recommended? I have been told by retailers that my pc could support "just about any card we carry". Thanks for more advice. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2002, 05:44 PM   #6
[LS]Leodavinci
Fanboy

well... if you retailer says you can buy any card they supply ... I think yes,maybe you should go to more technical boards for answers about things like this..hmm

here is an article about it: http://www.digit-life.com/articles/gaingf2ti/

maybe there is something, good luck with making a decission
Old 05-31-2002, 06:19 PM   #7
[LS]Leodavinci
Fanboy

another one that might help: http://www.rivastation.com/ti-cards_e.htm
Old 06-01-2002, 03:30 PM   #8
elwoodthemad
Experienced

Hi, I think I made a mistake saying that the bus speed of my pc is 100mhz the motherboard bus speed is 200mhz and the RAM is pc100 (I installed pc133 256MB and removed pc100 128MB)(Athlon 1.1ghz), don't know if it will make a difference in whether geforce 3 or 4 might be beneficial. I would like to know your opinions as I have cancelled my order for the geforce 2 card. I would like to be able to play Doom III when it comes out and have read that it will require at least geforce 3. Thanks for any input. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2002, 06:04 PM   #9
[LS]Leodavinci
Fanboy

hmm... sorry but i really arent someone who can help you out with technical questions of this kind, maybe you can contact nvidia or one of the retailers ?!

good luck