>> Star Trek Elite Force II
|Genre: First Person Shooter
Platforms: PC, Mac
PC Publisher: Activision
Mac Publisher: Aspyr Media
Engine: Quake III, with Ritual's ÜBER Tools
ESRB Rating: Teen
Released: June 24, 2003
|· DirectX 9.0 compatible 32MB video card
· Pentium III 600 or Athlon™ processor or higher
· 128MB of RAM
· Microsoft® Windows® 98/98SE/ME/2000/XP
· DirectX® 9.0 compatible 16 bit sound card
· DirectX® 9.0
To Boldly Go..
Star Trek Elite Force II will feature no less than 14 weapons, not counting the always-present Tricorder. These range from the popular Phaser and the Bat'Leth sword to exotic devices like the Attrexian Arc Launcher.
Short for PHAsed Energy Rectification, the Phaser is a small handheld weapon that is common issue among Starfleet security personnel. The weapon fires a concentrated beam of energy that can kill and even evaporate a target.
The Type II Phaser is the default weapon in Star Trek Elite Force II and doesn't need ammunition. Instead, its internal energy cells slowly regenerate themselves.
Commonly used by Starfleet personnel during wartime, the Type III Phaser Compression Rifle packs a lot more punch than the Type II version. The rifle fires concentrated pulses of energy and has proven extremely effective during the Dominion War.
The Enhanced Compression rifle is based on the Type III Phaser Rifle and offers a higher rate of fire as well as a nose-mounted energy grenade launcher. This makes the Enhanced Compression Rifle the weapon of choice for the Hazard Team.
This weapon was developed in cooperation with the Hazard Team after their arrival in the Alpha Quadrant. The Federation Assault rifle fires a concentrated burst of enery that is lethal in close quarters. At range the weapon isn't as accurate, but still somewhat effective.
The Infinity Modulator was developed by Seven of Nine to counter the Borg's adaptive shielding technology. It automatically modulates the weapon to a new frequency in the upper EM band after each shot, which makes it impossible for a Borg drone to adapt.
The weapon features two settings. The first one results in a moderate beam of energy, while the second emits a strong energy beam, but at a reduced rate of fire.
Though this weapon is rarely used by Starfleet, it has proven to be a valuable part of the Hazard Team's arsenal. The grenades carry a high-energy plasma payload enclosed in a tri-cobalt shell along with a timer that detonates the grenade after a short amount of time. This allows the user to arc grenades around corners.
Furthermore, the weapon can also be used to lay minefields. In this mode, the grenades only explode when triggered by a nearby enemy.
An upgraded version of the Photon Burst, the Quantum Burst fires micro torpedoes, which are tiny versions of the quantum torpedoes used by starships. Like their large counterparts, micro torpedoes carry a small amount of matter and antimatter, which is detonated upon impact.
The weapon was modified after Voyager's return to Earth and now features a link-up, which allows the user to control the torpedo's flight path.
The sniper rifle is the only weapon in the game to feature a scope. That and its high damage throughput make it great for taking out enemies from afar. In single player, you will be able to spot enemy snipers by their laser sights briefly flashing up.
The Romulan Disruptor is the standard weapon used by Romulan security personnel. Somewhat similar to the Federation Phaser Compression Rifle, the Disruptor fires concentrated beams of energy. The weapon can actually be charged up, resulting in an even deadlier burst.
The Klingon-made Tetryon Gatling Gun is a unique weapon that features multiple pre-fire chambers, resulting in an extremely high rate of fire. The secondary fire mode unleashes highly condensed tetryon balls that bounce off metal surfaces. Due to the extreme recoil, the weapon slows the carrier down somewhat while firing.
Little is known about the Attrexian Rifle. It features two very different fire modes that can be combined to result in a fatal explosion. To accomplish this, the user must first use the weapon's secondary fire mode to unleash a deadly cloud of gas, which can then be ignited using the primary fire mode.
Little is known about the Radiation Disruptor. Early intelligence suggests that the weapon is somehow able to contaminate the target area with lethal radiation.
"Bat'Leth" is Klingon for "Sword of Honor". It is a two-handed melee weapon that has become the most popular Klingon weapon, ever since the first Bat'Leth was forged by Kahless the Unforgettable.
Though not considered essential, Starfleet encourages security personnel to familiarize themselves with the handling and usage of this weapon.
Nothing is known about this weapon. You'll have to play the game to find out what it does. :)
The Tricorder is a handheld scanning device and is common issue among Starfleet personnel. It used for a variety of functions, some of which are listed below.
While the old-style Tricorder is used during the first mission, the rest of the game will feature the new Tricorder introduced in Star Trek Nemesis.
- Scanning for life forms: When selected, the Tricorder interlinks with the Hazard Team's newly developed contact lenses and displays a small radar screen, indicating all life forms in the vicinity.
- Interlinking with computer systems: The Tricorder can interlink with most known computer systems, allowing the user to activate or deactive subsystems that would be inaccessible otherwise.
This is sometimes done via so-called minigames that have to be successfully completed. Please see the screenshot on the right for an example of such a minigame.
- Infrared overlay: This function comes in handy when the team operates in dark areas. When activated, the overlay makes it incredibly easy to locate enemiesm even when it is pitch black.
- Structural integrity overlay: This overlay displays the structural integrity of selected objects in order to locate weaknesses. This function is generally used when the team is trying to infiltrate a facility without taking the main entrance.
- Trace gas overlay: With the help of this overlay, it is possible to navigate around hazardous gases that may be invisble to the naked eye.
- Interlink with orbiting ships: In this mode, the Tricorder interlinks with the weapons systems of an orbiting Federation starship. It can then be used to paint targets, allowing for precise tactical strikes.